The best egg salad ever, sans eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with diced up tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard and optional tahini.
Being totally honest here, I was never a big fan of egg salad. I ate quite a bit of it as a kid and always had mixed feelings. On the one hand, if it was egg salad day at school, it meant I was avoiding worse fate, like bologna or tuna salad. Those were the worst.
On the other hand: eggs. Never one of my faves.
I generally tolerated egg salad and kept my fingers crossed that tomorrow would be PB&J day.
I loved this vegan egg salad. Egg salad made with tofu is far superior to egg salad made with actual eggs, if you ask me!
I totally intended to split a sandwich with my husband and then pack up the rest for weekday lunches, but between the two of us we finished the entire batch over the weekend.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Vegan mayonnaise. You can find vegan mayo in most regular supermarkets these days. Look for it near the regular mayo, or in the natural foods section. Just Mayo, Hellman's Vegan and Vegenaise are some popular brands to look out for.
- Dijon mustard. I like whole grain Dijon (Trader Joe's is my favorite), but the smooth stuff works too.
- Tahini. This is an optional ingredient, but I find it works great for thickening up the dressing and mimicking the texture of hard boiled egg yolks.
- Red wine vinegar.
- Ground turmeric. This is for adding some yellow color to your vegan egg salad. Skip it if you don't feel like you need that.
- Tofu. Extra-firm tofu works best for this recipe, but firm will do in a pinch.
- Red onion. Pro tip: if you find raw onion to be a bit intense for you, simply soak your onion in some cold water after dicing it. A 10 minute soak followed by a rinse in cold water will wash away most of the bite.
- Dill pickle relish. Finely mince up some dill pickle if relish isn't something you normally buy.
- Fresh parsley.
- Scallions. Also known as green onions.
- Kala namak. Kala namak, also knowns as black salt, is a type of salt with a high sulfur content. It's great for making things taste eggy! I use it in all of my vegan "egg" recipes like tofu scramble and vegan quiche. You can find it in most Indian markets or on Amazon. It's optional in this recipe and can be replaced with regular table salt if needed.
- Black pepper.
How It's Made
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll all the way down if you'd like to skip right to the recipe!
This stuff comes together super easily, in mere minutes!
Stir the dressing ingredients together: vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, tahini (if using), red wine vinegar, and turmeric.
Now stir in your filling ingredients: diced tofu, red onion, relish, parsley, celery, carrots, and scallions.
Give the mixture a taste-test and make any adjustments you think are needed. You can add more mayo to make it creamier, more vinegar for tang, or more veggies for crunch. Add kala namak (or regular salt) and pepper to taste.
Stuff your vegan egg salad into a sandwich, scoop it onto a green salad, or devour it from a spoon!
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover vegan egg salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
More Creamy Sandwich Salads
Like this recipe? If so, please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try it! Also be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for more recipes like this one!
Vegan Egg Salad (Made with Tofu!)
The best egg salad ever, sans eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with diced up tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard and a bit of tahini.
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, or more, if you like
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional, for eggy color)
- 1 (14 ounce or 400 gram) package extra firm tofu, drained, patted dry and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup diced red onion (Note 1)
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Kala namak (optional, for eggy flavor), to taste (Note 2)
- Black pepper, to taste
Stir the mayo, Dijon mustard, tahini (if using), vinegar, and turmeric (if using) together in a medium bowl.
Add the tofu, onion, relish, parsley, celery, carrots and scallions. Gently stir until fully blended.
Season with kala namak or salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve in sandwiches, wraps, or atop a bed of greens.
- Optionally, soak your diced red onion in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain and rinse it before using. This will mellow the flavor and reduce the raw onion bite.
- Kaka namak (also known as black salt) can be purchased at most Indian markets. Substitute with regular salt if you can't find it or don't want to use it.
This was very yummi this morning. Still drolling :D
Alissa Saenz says
I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
Alexandria Phillips says
I made this for lunch today. Hands down the best tofu "egg" salad that I have ever made!! Thanks!
Alissa Saenz says
Awesome!! I'm so happy to hear that! Thanks Alexandria!
Super, thanks 😊
I am vegan and love your dishes. I will make this tomorrow. :)
Courtney R says
Delicious dressing! Best I've tasted and I've made a lot of vegan egg and chick'n salads. Thanks!!
Margaret Ehinger says
I have tried for years to like tofu to no avail. This tofu egg salad is a gamechanger. Love it! MDE