The best egg salad ever, sans eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with diced up tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard and optional tahini.
Being totally honest here, I was never a big fan of egg salad. I ate quite a bit of it as a kid and always had mixed feelings. On the one hand, if it was egg salad day at school, it meant I was avoiding worse fate, like bologna or tuna salad. Those were the worst.
On the other hand: eggs. So I tolerated egg salad and kept my fingers crossed that tomorrow would be PB&J day.
I loved this egg salad. I totally intended to split a sandwich with my husband and then pack up the rest for weekday lunches, but between the two of us we finished the entire batch over the weekend.
How to Make Vegan Egg Salad
This stuff comes together super easily, in mere minutes!
- First, make the dressing. You'll be mixing up some mayo, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and an optional pinch of turmeric (for color). You also have the option of including some tahini. While this ingredient isn't strictly necessary, I find it adds a nice flavor and thickens up the dressing much like egg yolk might in traditional egg salad.
- Now add some roughly diced tofu (the "egg" in this egg salad), diced carrots, celery, and scallions. Mix it all up!
Season your salad with some kala namak (for eggy flavor), or plain old salt and pepper.
Stuff it in a sandwich, scoop it on a salad, or devour it from a spoon!
FAQ & Tips for Making Awesome Vegan Egg Salad
- This vegan egg salad would nicely for school or work lunches!
- Is this stuff gluten-free? The egg salad is gluten-free. To keep your entire meal gluten-free, just be sure to use your favorite gluten-free bread, or serve it over lettuce.
- Kala namak is the key to giving this eggy flavor. Not familiar? It's a type of salt with a high sulfur content that you'll sometimes come across in Indian cuisine.
- Adjust the seasonings to your liking and feel free to experiment by adding anything that might work well in egg salad, like dill, capers or even some coconut bacon.
- This will keep for up to two days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Looking for more creamy vegan salads for stuffing in sandwiches? Try my vegan chicken salad, vegan tuna salad, curried tofu salad, or smashed chickpea salad.
Vegan Tofu No-Egg Salad
The best egg salad ever, sans eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with diced up tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard and a bit of tahini.
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, or more, if you like
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch turmeric (optional, for eggy color)
- 1 (14 ounce or 400 gram) package extra firm tofu, drained, patted dry and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Kala namak (Optional, for eggy flavor. Can sub regular salt.), to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Stir the mayo, Dijon mustard, tahini (if using), vinegar, and turmeric (if using) together in a medium bowl.
Add the tofu, relish, parsley, celery, carrots and scallions. Gently stir until fully blended.
Season with kala namak or salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in sandwiches, wraps, or atop a bed of greens.