This creamy vegan cheesecake is made from silken tofu and cashews, and covered with a sweet and tangy mango lime topping.
This was supposed to be my basic vegan cheesecake post. You know, just cheesecake. Everyone needs a basic cheesecake recipe, even vegans. So I figured I’d whip up something simple and let you guys figure out what to do with it. I just couldn’t bring myself to do that though, because cheesecake is always more fun with stuff on it. Who eats a plain cheesecake?
In the end I figured I’d top the cheesecake as I pleased, and throw out there that the topping isn’t necessarily required, or that you could go and substitute your favorite topping. So that’s just what I’m doing. Here you are, my standard vegan cheesecake recipe. Put whatever you want on this.
But now I’m asking you nicely to please put mango lime topping on it. It was so good, and a refreshing change from the usual cherry (or whatever) cheesecake. I kind of ended up with this topping by accident, because nothing I thought I wanted to put on a cheesecake was in season. I didn’t realize I wanted to put mangoes on a cheesecake – that was actually my husband’s idea, and it was a brilliant one. The mangoes available at my stores have been awesome lately, and lime goes perfectly with mango. This thing turned out delicious. My omnivorous brother ate about half of it and declared it one of his favorite things I’ve ever made.
Valentine’s day is right around the corner. Is there a special vegan in your life? Impress them with this sexy mango lime cheesecake!
Vegan Cheesecake with Mango Lime Topping
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in water 4-8 hours and drained
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Mango Lime Topping
- 2 cups diced mango about 2 large mangoes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp. lime zest
Make the Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, coconut oil and sugar in medium mixing bowl. Press mixture firmly into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool.
Prepare the Cheesecake
- Lower oven temperature to 350º.
- While crust cools, place cashews in food processor bowl. Blend to a thick paste. Add remaining cheesecake ingredients and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour mixture into spring form pan over crust and smooth out with a rubber scraper. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Prepare the Mango Lime Topping
- While cheesecake bakes, place mango lime topping ingredients into small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and lower heat. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
Finish the Mango Lime Cheesecake
- Once cheesecake and topping have cooled, spoon topping over cheesecake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting.