These vegan avocado melt sandwiches are crispy on the outside, and packed with creamy avocado, roasted red peppers and savory coconut bacon on the inside!
Let’s talk about what you don’t need in order to create a vegan melt sandwich.
- Cheese. Obviously, that one’s a no brainer. It’s vegan.
- Fake cheese. This one’s not so obvious, but trust me, you don’t need it, and when I made this sandwich I wanted to avoid it because (a) I’m generally not too fond of store bought premade vegan cheese, and (2) homemade vegan cheese is a bit of a project.
So, what do I use instead of cheese? Avocados! They’re perfect…rich, creamy, melty when heated, and even better than any real or fake cheese because they’re green. You gotta love a green panini, right?
This type of sandwich is totally customizable. For my take on the vegan avocado melt, I opted to include cilantro, red pepper slices and coconut bacon.
I’m such a sucker for coconut bacon and I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t already. I make my own, but in the spirit of keeping thing simple, feel free to buy it premade, which you can usually do at a natural food store or online.
I also added a bit of lime juice to balance out the avocado. Mashed up with the lime and some salt and pepper, avocado becomes your perfect, tangy, creamy melt sandwich base.
Vegan Avocado Melt with Coconut Bacon
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup coconut bacon
- 4-6 jarred roasted red pepper slices
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- about 2 tsp. olive oil
- Mash avocado lightly with a fork. Add lime juice, salt and pepper and mash a bit more to blend.
- Divide avocado mixture in two and spread over two slices of sandwich bread.
- Top avocado mixture with coconut bacon, red pepper slices and cilantro. Top each sandwich with one of your remaining bread slices to close.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches in skillet and cook until browned on each side, about five minutes per side.