Chunky white beans, artichoke hearts and creamy avocado slices are drizzled with garlicky pesto sauce, stuffed between bread slices and grilled until golden and delicious to create this comforting and flavorful vegan green goddess melt sandwich.
Let’s just look past the fact that I named this a “melt sandwich” but nothing is technically melting here. Yeah, I kind of named it that to draw you in, but now that you’re here, listen up: if you were to take a bite of this sucker with a blindfold on, you’d never ever know that you were eating something that wasn’t melted. I promise.
Mashed up beans, pesto sauce and avocado are all things that get soft and squishy when heated, even if they don’t technically melt. But isn’t soft and squishy the whole point of eating melty food? If you really, really want to, you can throw some vegan mozzarella shreds on here, but you don’t need to at all.
All of my squishy sandwich fillings for this one happened to be green, and I’ve been seeing so many beautiful recipes for green goddess everything gracing the internet lately, I figured it was about time I threw in my own contribution. This sandwich turned out to be perfectly springy, sloppy and delicious, and it takes all of twelve minutes to throw together.
Green Goddess Melt Sandwich
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. vegan pesto sauce store-bought or homemade, plus extra, to taste
- 2 slices good sandwich bread
- 2 artichoke hearts canned or frozen and thawed, coarsely chopped
- about 1/4 cup baby arugula or spinach leaves
- 1/2 avocado sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for grilling
- Place beans into a small bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Stir in pesto. Spread on one of your bread slices. Top with artichoke hearts, followed by spinach or arugula, then avocado slices. Drizzle with as much additional pesto as you like between layers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and top with remaining bread slice.
- Coat the bottom of a large flat-bottomed skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Place sandwich into skillet and grill until lightly browned on bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip and grill until browned on other side, about 4 minutes more.