These hearty vegan chickpea burgers are infused and topped with tangy barbecue sauce and served up on buns with creamy slaw.
Are you guys ready for fall? ME TOO!!!
I know that’s a ridiculous thing to say. I’m the only person on the planet that’s pining away for crackling fires and pumpkin spice lattes this time of year. Summer just isn’t my thing, and last week was particularly nasty where I live. Oh, and it’s technically not even summer yet.
But I am an optimist, and when life gives me lemons in the form of 90 degree heat and no air conditioning, I make lemonade. Or I make veggie burgers.
Even though I love veggie burgers every day of the year, there’s definitely a reason that summer is burger season. Grilling might be part of it, but I tend to find veggie burgers are better off cooked on the stovetop. Still though, they take just a few minutes to cook, and it’s not like one burner and a skillet will have your whole house sizzling away.
Also, they’re easy, and on those really hot summer days it can be pretty tough for me to work up the motivation to do do much in the way of meal prep. One of my favorite things to do with veggie burgers is whip up a big batch of the burger mix, break it up into burger-sized portions without shaping it into patties, and then freeze them for later. Then, when it’s really hot I’ve got an easy meal with most of the prep work already done. Thaw, shape and cook. And bonus, I have to open up the freezer, which I always enjoy doing on sticky summer evenings.
These chickpea burgers are really easy, and they’re really good too! I whipped up a quick barbecue sauce and put half of it into the burgers themselves, then saved half for topping, so they’re doubly barbecue-y. The slaw is pretty basic—just a veganized version of classic coleslaw. I wasn’t even going to post the recipe, but I figured people would ask for it if I left it out, because someone always does.
Barbecue Chickpea Burgers
For the Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Barbecue Chickpea Burgers
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Oil for grilling
- 4 to 6 burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced Pickles
- First make the slaw by stirring all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add a bit more mayo if you'd like it a bit creamier, and adjust any of the seasonings to your liking.
- Next make the barbecue sauce by stirring all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- To make the burgers, first place the oats into a food processor bowl and process to a fine powder. Add the chickpeas, onion, garlic, and half of the barbecue sauce. Pulse until everything is chopped and well mixed, being careful not to overdo it.
- Shape the mixture into 4 to 6 patties.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a medium skillet. When the oil is hot, place a few patties into the skillet, leaving some room between them. Cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and cook any remaining patties, adding some oil to the skillet if needed.
- Stuff the patties into buns and top with remaining sauce, slaw, tomato and pickle slices. Serve.