You can’t beat a classic! This vegan French toast tastes like the stuff you grew up eating, but is made with absolutely no eggs or dairy. Grab some maple syrup and dig in!
Believe it or not, there are tons of ways to make vegan French toast. It’s not as complicated as you may think! Just make some type of batter, dip your bread in it, and grill. That’s it! It’s really not that important what the batter is made of. Bananas work, tofu works, even mangoes work! I’ve tried them all, and shared recipes for a bunch of variations.
But I’ve yet to post a recipe for super simple vegan French toast that tastes like the non-vegan stuff you grew up eating. Until today, anyhow!
Like I said, there’s batter involved, and you can make it out of just about anything. For this traditional spin on vegan French toast I went with simple old non-dairy milk: a mix of coconut milk and almond (or soy or whatever non-dairy milk you normally drink). The coconut milk supplies a bit of richness, liked you’d find in French toast recipes that call for heavy creamy.
The other key ingredient to my French toast batter is cornstarch. This keeps the batter super light (it’ll seem very thin when you mix it up), but allows it to thicken up and partially solidify when you cook it — just like eggs do in traditional French toast.
And then there’s the flavorings! Maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla supply the sweet, a bit of nutritional yeast supplies the savory, and kala namak gives the French toast an eggy flavor.
Dip your bread and grill away, just like you would with regular old french toast.
I topped mine with some powdered sugar, vegan butter and maple syrup.
Tips for Making Killer Vegan French Toast
- Use a good, sturdy bread for this. The batter is more liquidy than conventional French toast batter, so delicate bread could easily fall apart.
- One of the challenges to making great vegan French toast is its tendency to stick to the pan. Use a really good nonstick surface, like cast iron. I also find it helps to take a spatula and loosen the bread from the cooking surface after the first minute or so of cooking.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. Prefer sweeter French toast? Up the maple syrup! Like a little extra eggy flavor? Use more kala namak! Got some fun spices on hand? Throw them in! Nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom would all be delicious.
- You can also play with the consistency of the batter by using less cornstarch for a lighter batter, more cornstarch (or even a bit of flour) for thinner batter.
- I like to take a spoon and dribble some batter around the edges of my French toast while it’s cooking. It kind of mimics those eggy clusters that sometimes cling to the edges of non-vegan French toast.
Classic Vegan French Toast
You can't beat a classic! This vegan French toast tastes like the stuff you grew up eating, but is made with absolutely no eggs or dairy. Grab some maple syrup and dig in!
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak
- About 2 tablespoons vegan butter or oil, for grilling
- 4 to 6 thick crusty bread slices (slightly stale bread works great)
Whisk the coconut milk, soy or almond milk, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and kala namak together in a medium bowl.
Generously coat the bottom of a medium skillet with oil and place it over medium heat.
Dip one side of a bread slice into the batter, then flip and dip to coat the other side. Be careful not to oversaturate it, or it could fall apart.
Transfer the bread slice to the pan. You can dip a few more slices and cook them at the same time, as long as you don't crowd the pan.
Cook the French toast for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom, then flip and cook about 5 minutes more.
Repeat until all of the bread and batter have been used, adding butter or oil to the skillet between batches.
Serve with maple syrup, vegan butter, and any of your favorite toppings.