You're just three minutes away from this decadent, chocolate chip studded, vegan vanilla ice cream topped, single-serving pumpkin mug cake!
I think it's safe to say that I generally eat pretty healthy. However, when I've got that hankering, I have an uncanny ability to produce something sweet out of thin air. My husband was amazed by this when we first got together.
When you need something sweet...
(and by "you" I mean "me")
...pretty much anything can happen.
Chocolate chip topped peanut butter by the spoonful.
Ritz crackers topped with maple syrup sweetened almond butter.
I didn't invent that last one. I've known about these things for a while, and unfortunately, this isn't the kind of thing you can just unlearn. You're forever stuck with the knowledge that there's cake available at all times.
Once fall hits I start cracking open cans of pumpkin puree like crazy, and often I don't use a whole can at once. Mug cake is the perfect excuse to use up 1.5 tablespoons of that leftover pumpkin puree. Maybe you bought too much when you went to make my vegan pumpkin pie or vegan pumpkin bread. You really don't need an excuse though.
This sucker takes just about three minutes to whip up.
A few spoonfuls of flour, baking powder, spices and a pinch of salt. Then non-dairy milk, maple syrup, oil, pumpkin puree. Chocolate chips go in last. Stir it up, zap for a minute and dig in.
Preferably top it with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream, but that's your call.
Tips for Making Perfect Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Microwave ovens vary in power, so you may need to cook yours a bit more than one minute. If it's not cooked after the first minute, zap it again in 30 second increments.
- Be careful not to get your coconut oil too hot when melting it. It can heat up the batter and cause your chips to melt!
- Wondering where to find vegan chocolate chips? Try Enjoy Life brand! Some regular supermarkets carry them, and most places like whole foods do. And of course you can get them on Amazon.
- Will fresh pumpkin work for this? Yes, but you have to roast and puree it. Try this method!
Like this recipe? If so, please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try it! Also be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for more recipes like this one!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Mug Cake
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (could sub all-purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or whatever baking oil you've got on hand
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
Stir the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt together in medium-sized coffee mug.
Add the maple syrup, milk, pumpkin puree, and coconut oil.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Microwave for 60 seconds. If it doesn't look done after 60 seconds, zap it for another thirty seconds.
Serve with a spoon and optionally with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.