You’re just three minutes away from this decadent, chocolate chip studded, vegan vanilla ice cream topped, single-serving pumpkin mug cake.
I think it’s safe to say that I generally eat pretty healthy. However, when I’ve got that hankering, I have an uncanny ability to produce something sweet out of thin air. My husband was amazed by this when we first got together.
When you need something sweet…
(and by “you” I mean “me.”)
Chocolate chip topped peanut butter by the spoonful.
Ritz crackers topped with maple syrup sweetened almond butter.
I didn’t invent that last one. I’ve known about these things for a while, and unfortunately, this isn’t the kind of thing you can just unlearn. Forevermore you’re stuck with the knowledge that there’s cake available at all times.
Once September hits I start cracking open cans of pumpkin puree like crazy, and often I don’t use a whole can at once. Mug cake is the perfect excuse to use up 1.5 tablespoons of that leftover pumpkin puree. You really don’t need an excuse though.
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (could sub all-purpose)
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1½ tbsp. canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (or whatever baking oil you've got on hand)
- 1-2 tbsp. vegan chocolate chips
- Stir flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt together in medium-sized coffee mug. Add maple syrup, milk, pumpkin puree, coconut oil and chocolate chips. Stir just until mixed.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. If it doesn't look done after 60 seconds, zap for another thirty seconds.
- Serve with a spoon and optionally with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.