Dumplings in a stir-fry! Oh YES! Meet your new favorite thing: crispy pan-fried dumplings with tender-crisp veggies in a savory hoisin sauce.
Remember how I told you I did something really awesome with Wednesday’s dumplings? Well, guys…I put ’em in a stir-fry! I guess you probably figured that out by the title of this post. ;)
You probably also figured out that I’m reeeeeeealllly excited about this idea.
Last week at some point my husband and I were watching an episode of the Gilmore Girls after dinner. The show is new to me, but my husband really liked it and suggested we catch up so we can watch the new episodes. One thing that got my attention about the show is the amount of food involved. They’re all about food, and even though none of the food seems to be vegan or my kind of thing, I can still draw some inspiration from it.
Anyway, dumplings appeared at some point in the episode we were watching. I can’t remember if the looked fake or not, but they must have slipped into my subconscious, because later on in the evening I randomly blurted out “I need to put dumplings in a stir-fry.” Thanks Gilmore Girls, because this was the best idea ever that I can’t believe I never thought of until now. I mean, think about it, if you’re eating dumplings you’ll be dipping them in sauce anyway, so why not just drench them in sauce?
That’s just what I did, and my dumpling stir-fry was excellent! It was a bit more work than the normal stir-fry because of the whole making the dumplings thing and all. If you can find some vegan dumpling at the store, go ahead and use them instead (I’ve seem them and wish I could remember a few brands, but I can’t).
Veggies & Dumplings Stir-Fry
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallions white and green parts separated and chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh baby corn
- 8 ounces baby bok choy halved or quartered, depending on size
- 10-12 smoky tofu dumplings or vegan store-bought vegan dumplings, cook them according to package directions first
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Cooked rice if you're seriously into carbs
- Stir the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger together in a small bowl.
- Coat the bottom of a large wok or skillet with oil and place it over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the white parts of the scallions, carrot, and baby corn. Stir-fry just until the veggies begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the baby bok choy and continue to stir-fry until it begins to wilt and the carrots and corn are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Add the dumplings and hoisin sauce mixture. Gently flip everything a few times to coat it with the sauce, then remove from heat.
- Divide onto plates and top with sesame seeds and green parts of scallions. Serve, with rice if you like.