This light and flavorful miso tofu stir-fry is made with tender-crisp red bell pepper slices and sugar snap peas, with crispy pan-fried tofu in a light and savory miso sauce.
Miso is some interesting stuff. The first time I tried miso soup, I freaked out a little bit. I was convinced it was made from some kind of meat broth. Fermented food can do that to you if you’re not used to it. I later heard the term described as umami. It’s hard to describe or put your finger on essentially what umami is, but a savory flavor that most of us associate with meat is a good place to start.
Anyhow, I’ve been throwing more and more fermented ingredients into my food lately, and miso has made a regular appearance. When I taste test some savory dish and it seems to be missing something, it’s often that hard to pin down umami.
I decided it was time to go and make a miso-centric recipe that isn’t soup. (If you are looking for a good soup recipe, try my soba noodle miso soup.) With stir-fries, I have a tendency to go heavy on sweet and spicy flavors. This stir-fry was a bit of a change from that. The sauce is much lighter than my norm. I guess with the lightness of stir-fried veggies I normally feel the urge to compensate, hence the sweet and spicy. In this case I was totally satisfied with a light, savory sauce. Maybe it’s my appetite getting ready for spring. I start to crave lighter foods as the weather warms up, which is apparently happening — I can count at least two nights over the past week that I slept with the window open, and I’ve been a bit sneezy, which always happens around the time the trees start budding. In any event, this dish made a happy little early springtime dinner. It more than made up for the sneezing and the daylight savings lag I’ve been feeling all week.
Veggie and Miso Tofu Stir-Fry
For the Sauce
- 3 tbsp. white miso paste
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. sriracha or other hot sauce
For the Crispy Tofu
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu drained, pressed for at least 20 minutes, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
For the Veggie Stir-Fry
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1-2 tsp. sesame seeds
- cooked rice
Make the Sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl. Set aside.
Make the Crispy Tofu
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Add tofu cubes in a single layer. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 5 minutes, flip and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
Make the Veggie Stir-Fry
- Add oil to skillet and raise heat to high. Add garlic, ginger, sugar snap peas and bell pepper strips. Stir-fry until veggies are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium-high and add tofu and sauce. Cook 1 minute more, flipping frequently to distribute ingredients.
- Serve with rice and top with scallions and sesame seeds.