Tender kale leaves are tossed with crispy fried rice that’s been drenched in peanut sauce to make this flavor-packed peanut butter fried rice!
Most of the time I go around with all sorts of food ideas floating in my head. Lists, meal plans, stuff to eat, stuff to blog. I think about food a lot. And unfortunately, for those who know me personally, I talk about food a lot. I also make frequent trips to the store, in order to stock up for all my recipe ideas, sometimes having to go back repeatedly when things don’t turn out as planned.
Planning. Stocking. Cooking.
Amid all this planning, stocking, and cooking every now and then something totally random, unexpected and wonderful is born out of my kitchen. This meal is one of those things.
I didn’t want to open up by telling you guys that this was a “clean out the fridge dinner,” because there’s just something unappealing to me about thinking of a dish that way, but that is exactly what this is. It happened one evening when I was home alone. My husband had some plans, so I took a yoga class and figured I’d return home and heat up a veggie burger. When I got home, as often happens after an intense yoga class, I discovered I was hungrier than expected. Time to clean out the fridge!
A few pieces of kale, some leftover rice…what did I need here? Ah, peanut butter. Peanut butter makes everything better, and in this case it did the job. The meal was so good I actually felt bad about making it all for myself. Fortunately I had leftovers and spent the following afternoon enthusiastically encouraging my husband to eat them. He initially looked at me a little funny when I told him that my amazing concoction was peanut butter fried rice, but he finally gave in, and always, assented to my culinary genius. I hope you make this and do the same.
Peanut Butter and Kale Fried Rice
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave optional, but nice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 bunch of kale stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice chilled
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 scallions chopped
- Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- Whisk together peanut butter, ginger, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce and maple syrup. Thin with water until the mixture is just a little on the runny side. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and heat to a boil. Remove from heat and blanch kale in water for 30 seconds to one minute, until just tender. Do this in batches if needed. Transfer the kale to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the rice and stir-fry until it begins to brown and crisp in spots, about 4 minutes. Add the kale and the peanut butter mixture. Continue to stir fry until the rice and kale are coated and the sauce begins to dry up a bit.
- Remove from heat. Divide onto plates and serve topped with peanuts, scallions and sriracha.