Baby portobello mushrooms are sliced thin, simmered with Mexican spices, and stuffed into tortillas with creamy guac to make these flavor-packed mushroom carnitas tacos.
Sometimes I forget what types of recipes I’ve shared on this site before. Like, there have been a number of instances in which I’ve pulled a recipe at the last minute after realizing I posted something almost identical three or so years ago. I always think I have a good handle on my content, but at this point I’m well past 700 recipes, so I guess it makes sense that I forget a thing or two.
Anyhow, a few weeks ago a friend mentioned having mushroom tacos at a Mexican restaurant and I thought that was the best idea ever. I had to come up with a mushroom taco recipe of my own. I totally forgot that I’ve already shared not one but two(!) mushroom taco recipes on this site (here and here, in case you were wondering).
But in my defense, this one is different. The former two are both portobello mushroom steaky taco-type recipes. This time we’re talking about super-tender melt-in your mouth mushrooms carnitas tacos, and they’re kind of mind blowing.
I wasn’t sure this would even work out, but it did, and here’s how: slice your mushrooms really thin and cook them up until they start to crisp. Then add some simmering liquid with seasonings and let them cook until they’re super soft and have soaked up all the flavor. Serve them up with guacamole and I think you’ve got some vegan tacos that even a mushroom hating die-hard omnivore would love. They’re kind of similar to my French dip sandwiches, so if you were a fan of those I think you’ll dig these tacos.
Mushroom Carnitas Tacos
For the Mushroom Carnitas
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound baby portobello cremini mushrooms, sliced very thin
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
For the Tacos
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas
- Oil or cooking spray
- Guacamole my recipe here|https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/mexican-cauliflower-steak-and-guacamole-sandwiches/]
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
Make the Mushroom Carnitas
- In a small bowl, stir together the orange juice, soy sauce, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and liquid smoke. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with the olive oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms in as even a layer as possible. Cook for about 5 minutes, flip, and cook 5 minutes more. Add the onion and continue cooking, flipping occasionally, until the onion begins to soften and the mushrooms begin to crisp up in spots. You can turn up the heat a bit if needed to get the mushrooms to crisp. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Stir the orange juice mixture into the skillet. Allow to cook for about 8 minutes more, until the liquid cooks off and the mushrooms become very tender.
Make the Tacos
- Lightly oil a large skillet and place over medium heat. Place a couple of tortillas into the skillet and allow them to warm up for a minute or two. Continue until all of the tortillas are heated.
- Stuff the tortillas with the mushroom mixture, guacamole, lettuce and tomato. Serve.