These hearty butternut squash home fries are sizzled up in olive oil with onions and spices. A perfect side for a savory fall breakfast.
Potatoes are great and all, but have you met butternut squash?
I love my potatoes, but when sweet winter squash is in season it immediately becomes my favorite starchy vegetable. It's so sweet and tender and delicious, and honestly, it can do most things that potatoes can do...but better.
Case in point: this recipe. These butternut squash home fries are a tad lighter than traditional home fries, with a touch of sweetness. With just a bit of onion and old bay seasoning, they've got just the right amount of savory to balance out that sweetness. In other words, they're absolutely scrumptious! This one is meant to be a side, but I can't blame you if you make an entire meal out of them.
Ingredients You'll Need
You only need 4 ingredients to make them!
- Olive oil. Use another high-heat oil such as coconut, avocado, or vegetable oil if you prefer.
- Butternut squash. Obviously! This is our main ingredient, and while it is an important one, you could probably get away with using similar varieties of winter squash like delicata or acorn.
- Old bay seasoning. You can find this blend in the spice aisle of most supermarkets. It's delicious! But feel free to substitute salt and pepper to taste if it's not something you normally buy.
How They're Made
These butternut squash home fries are ridiculously easy to make. Simply heat some oil in a large nonstick skillet, then add your remaining ingredients. Cook everything until the squash is fork tender, flipping frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
Tip: Because butternut squash is starchy, it has a tendency to stick to the pan. Make sure you're using a good nonstick cooking surface, such as a well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
Leftovers & Storage
Squash home fries are best served right away — they don't stay crispy for long! But if you do have leftovers they'll keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
Like this recipe? If so, please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try it! Also be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for more recipes like this one!
Butternut Squash Home Fries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 pound butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning, or just salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and butternut squash, onion and old bay.
Flip a few times to distribute the ingredients and coat everything with oil.
Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, until squash cubes are browned and tender, flipping every few minutes.