These flavorful fall veggie tacos are stuffed with a medley of tender roasted za’atar seasoned vegetables and a rich and creamy hummus seasoned with sweet maple syrup and smoked paprika.
Oh cute. It’s Tuesday and I’m posting a taco recipe. I totally didn’t plan this, but since I’m on board with tacos any day of the week, I’ll take it.
The thing about vegan tacos is this: once you do away with the idea that a taco has to have meat in it, you can do just about whatever you want. And isn’t that so much better than a boring old meat and cheese taco?
I do have a tendency to go for summer veggies when stuffing a taco. Somehow raw and crunchy seems to make sense. When I decided to create a fall taco, I just went and threw that out the window, in favor of spicy and roasty.
You could just as easily stuff the ingredients for this one into a crusty sandwich roll, and the hummus is totally delicious eaten on its own with a couple of pita wedges, but I for one am really glad to have tried this combination in taco form. The sweet and smoky hummus paired with the tangy and spicy za’atar is something you probably don’t want to miss.
Za'atar Roasted Veggie Tacos with Smoky Maple Hummus
For the Za'atar Roasted Veggies
- 1 medium cauliflower crown, broken into florets
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. za'atar spice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Smoky Maple Hummus
- 1 3/4 cups or 1-14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- 8 corn tortillas or hard taco shells
- shredded lettuce
- chopped scallions
- extra hot sauce
Make the Za'atar Roasted Veggies
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower, carrots, onion, garlic, olive oil and za'atar until veggies are well coated. Arrange in an even layer on baking sheet. Bake until veggies are tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes, tossing once.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Make the Smoky Maple Hummus
- Place all ingredients into food processor or blended. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Make the Veggie Tacos
- Slather tortillas or hard shells with hummus. Stuff with lettuce and za'atar roasted veggies. Sprinkle with scallions and drizzle with hot sauce.
I prefer corn tortillas for this one, and I like to toast them in oven at 400° for a few minutes.