A hearty mix of quinoa and lentils are simmered in savory tomato broth with tender cabbage to make this easy and healthy vegan soup.
I know. This is total winter food. Sometimes I have to share a super wintry recipe in the middle of April. I keep a big list of recipe ideas, and what happens quite often is I get some idea I think is great, but it’s totally not seasonally appropriate. So I put it on the back burner and intend to keep it there for six months or more, only to forget about it or forget what I thought was so awesome about it, and end up never making it at all. So it’s usually best to deal with these things immediately.
Anyhow, if you made my quinoa lentil cabbage rolls, this recipe will look familiar. It tastes just like the cabbage rolls too, but there’s way less work involved in putting the soup together. Just throw everything in a pot! I loved the cabbage rolls big time, and I just recently found out that cabbage roll soup is a thing, which makes total sense, because who doesn’t love an extra easy version of a favorite dish?
So, if you’ve been thinking of making my cabbage rolls but don’t feel like rolling (totally understandable), this one is for you. The best part? While this is indeed comfort food to the max, it, like the rolls, is super healthy.
Quinoa & Lentil Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 cups sliced cabbage about 1 small head
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried brown lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for serving, optional
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more, just until the cabbage begins to soften. Add the garlic and sauté until very fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Stir in the broth and lentils. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, tomatoes, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke. Continue simmering until the quinoa and lentils are fully cooked, about 20 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust any other seasonings to your liking.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve.