This cauliflower rice and beans is a delicious lightened up alternative to traditional rice and beans. It's positively packed with flavor and works great as a main or side dish!
This version of rice and beans is my kind of rice and beans. The veggies are the rice. Clever. I became pretty enamored with cauliflower rice a while back when I created a version of cauliflower fried rice. I decided if it works for Chinese food, it should work for Tex-Mex. It did!
For the "rice" part of this dish, I opted to recreate a popular Tex-Mex cilantro lime rice that I've enjoyed eating in many-a-lunch burrito I could not finish. To make a nice-well balanced meal, I added beans and skipped the burrito part, because it's just as nice to eat with a fork, if you ask me.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Olive oil. You can use another high heat oil if you prefer, like coconut, corn, or avocado oil.
- Red onion.
- Salt & pepper.
- Lime juice. Make sure to use freshly squeezed lime juice, as the bottled stuff just doesn't have the same flavor.
- Black beans. We're using canned or precooked black beans, to make life easy. Feel free to cook yours from scratch if you'd like.
- Fresh cilantro.
How It's Made
This dish is super simple to whip up.
- Use a food processor to chop your cauliflower into tiny, rice-sized pieces. You'll probably need to work in batches!
- Sauté diced red onion in olive oil for a few minutes, then add minced garlic and ook it for about 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower rice, along with the salt and pepper. Stir-fry the mixture for a few minutes until it starts to crisp.
- Add the lime juice and beans. Cook everything a minute or so more, just to heat up the beans.
- Take your cauliflower rice and beans off of heat and add fresh cilantro. You can also add more salt if you'd like, or adjust any other seasonings to suit your taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover cauliflower rice and beans will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days, or in the freezer for about 3 months.
Like this recipe? If so, please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try it! Also be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for more recipes like this one!
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice & Beans
- 1 large cauliflower crown
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice about 2 limes
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Remove outer leaves from cauliflower. Break into 8-10 large chunks (sufficiently small to fit into food processor bowl). Working in batches if necessary, place cauliflower chunks into food processor bowl. Pulse a few times until finely chopped to about the the size of rice grains. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
Add cauliflower, salt and pepper. Stir fry until cauliflower begins to crisp-up and brown in spots, about 5-7 minutes.
Add lime juice and beans. Flip a few times to mix everything and get beans thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and add cilantro.
Divide onto plates. Serve with hot sauce.