I was treated to a massage earlier this month for my birthday. It was awesome. During the course of the massage, the conversation turned to food. Of course, I told my therapist about the blog. He seemed interested, and when I asked if he was a vegetarian himself, he told me that he had been, but gave it up because he just missed buffalo burgers too much. It’s a good thing I was in a massage stupor and maybe starting to doze at that point, because had I responded, I would have enthusiastically informed him that I could make an amazing vegan Buffalo burger. Buffalo sauce goes with everything…duh.
Anyhow, I went home determined to create an amazing vegan Buffalo burger. I Googled “buffalo burger” just to make sure there wasn’t any special ingredient that I was missing. There was…buffalo meat.
I have no clue how to veganize buffalo meat. I don’t think I was aware that buffalo meat was even a thing. That’s okay though. While I do occasionally succumb to suggestions to adapt some off-the-wall meat based dishes, in this case I’m perfectly happy to go the Buffalo sauce route, ’cause Buffalo sauce is damn tasty stuff.
It just happened that this idea sparked in January, so I thought it would be perfect to share with you guys as some football food. If you’re watching football this Sunday, enjoy the game, but if you’re like me and don’t even care how many baskets your team makes, eat these burgers. I guarantee you’ll have a much better time that way 😉
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 can or 1¾ cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- ¼ cup cayenne pepper sauce, preferably Franks
- a few dashes of cayenne chili powder, to taste (optional - just if you like some extra heat)
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Rinse quinoa well under cold running water. Place in small saucepan with vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for another five minutes.
- Place cooked quinoa into food processor bowl with all other ingredients.
- Pulse until blended.
- Shape into patties. You will get four if you make them pretty big, but you could totally downsize and get a few more patties out of this.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook patties until browned on each side.
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings. Some vegan may and a little extra hot sauce goes nicely.