Creamy blended black beans and tender roasted veggies are spread on warm pizza crust and drizzled with vegan tahini nacho cheese to make this spicy and delicious vegan Mexican pizza.
I had a brief laugh with my husband while I was photographing this one, after declaring I was going to name it That’s Nacho Vegan Mexican Pizza!
Okay, so I actually did name it that in a first draft of the post, figuring anyone who stuck it out with me and my dorky nacho humor after this post was in for the long run.
This pizza is in fact like a plate of nachos, in pizza form, and while nacho pizza sounds like a big pan full of regret, this take is actually reasonably healthy. Creamy black bean spread? Check. Roasted veggies? Very healthy. Tahini nacho cheese? Way better than anything that ever came out of a cow.
Not only was this pie (leaning towards) healthy, but it might have been my favorite pizza ever, and it was super easy to boot. Blend up the beans and swirl up the sauce while crust and veggies roast, then throw it all together.
Vegan Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Mexican Pizza
For the Crust
- 1 lb. vegan pizza dough
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. cornmeal
For the Roasted Veggies
- 1 small broccoli crown, broken into florets
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Black Bean Spread
- 1-14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded (optional)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Tahini Nacho Cheese
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. sriracha, or your favorite hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. agave
- 1-2 tbsp. water, as needed
Prepare the Pizza Crust
- Preheat oven to 400º. Place pizza stone or baking sheet into oven to preheat.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14 inch circle. Carefully transfer to baking sheet or pizza stone and brush the top with olive oil. Sprinkle outer edges with cornmeal Bake about 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Roast the Veggies
- Toss broccoli, onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño with olive oil to coat. Place in roasting pan or arrange on baking sheet. Place into the oven with pizza crust. Bake until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with lime juice, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.
Make the Black Bean Spread
- While crust bakes and veggies roast, place all ingredients for black bean spread into blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl or pitcher as needed.
Make the Tahini Nacho Cheese
- Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl. Thin with as much water as is needed.
Assemble the Pizza
- Spread crust with black bean spread. Top with veggies and drizzle with tahini nacho cheese. Slice and serve.