This masala baked Indian tofu is made with baked up cubes of tofu in spicy curried tomato sauce. Serve over turmeric infused basmati rice and sprinkle with crunchy cashews for a healthy and spicy warm-up meal.
I’ve never actually seen tofu offered on an Indian restaurant menu, so as far as I can tell, Indian tofu isn’t really a thing. Or rather, it’s a thing I made up, but I’m really glad I did, because this is probably one of my favorite recipes of the 2015. Let’s end things with a bang!
In fact, I enjoyed this one so much that I totally screwed up the photos from the first batch, just so I could make it a second time. Okay that’s a lie, but last weekend when I stared editing the first batch of photos and saw how bad I they were I didn’t spend the usual amount of time grousing over it. I got back into the kitchen and started cooking some more tofu for dinner. (Photographing food in December, with the lack of daylight, is brutal, by the way.)
I guess what I’m saying is, I loved this stuff and highly recommend you cooking up a batch for yourself.
The other thing about food blogging in December – it’s crazy busy! Seriously, every other thing I’ve done professionally or semi professionally has gone dead in December. Not this. It’s prime food season, and with that said, I’ll end the post and get myself back in the kitchen.
Masala Baked Indian Tofu with Turmeric Rice
For the Masala Baked Indian Tofu
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. agave or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil, omit for oil free
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the Turmeric Basmati Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds, optional, but really nice
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, omit for oil free
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- salt to taste
- about 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 2 scallions, chopped
Make the Masala Baked Indian Tofu
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir soy sauce or tamari, lemon juice, agave or maple syrup, tomato paste, oil, fresh ginger, garlic, garam masala and pepper together in a medium bowl. Add tofu cubes and gently toss to coat.
- Arrange tofu cubes in an even layer on baking sheet. Bake until sauce thickens and browns in spots, about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and stir in cilantro.
Make the Turmeric Rice
- While tofu bakes, place rice, water, mustard seeds, oil and turmeric into a small saucepan. Bring water to a boil. Stir a few times, lower heat to a low simmer, cover and allow to cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for five minutes. Uncover and season with salt to taste.
- Divide rice and spinach onto plates. Top with tofu and sprinkle with cashews and scallions. Serve.