This decadent vegan strawberry shortcake is made with a double layer of rich vegan shortbread, stacked with coconut whipped cream and maple ginger marinated strawberries.
Today’s post is going to be a short one. Once again I’m scrambling around to get my post together at the last minute. I’m getting pretty backed up with day job work, so I haven’t got much time to put into my usual blubbering about the food. That shouldn’t really matter with this post though, should it? Doesn’t the title speak for itself?
I’ll say this: everyone who at this thing loved, loved, loved it. Even my vegan food fearing dad. I was afraid the ginger would either go undetected or be bad, but the first comments out of people’s mouths were a bunch of “mmmmms” and “yummms” and “Is that ginger? Niiiiiiice little kick there.” I was also afraid it would be hideous, which, let me tell you, my desserts often are. Not half bad though, don’t you think? Things got a little sloppy during cutting, but by then everyone was too busy chowing down to complain about that. In other words, this thing was great. Enjoy!
Maple Ginger Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
For the Maple Ginger Strawberries
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- pinch salt
For the Shortcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour or another cup of all purpose
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil or any neutral flavored baking oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Whipped Coconut Cream
- 2 cans coconut cream or coconut milk refrigerated at least 12 hours (the longer, the better)
- 1/4 cup agave
Prepare the Maple Ginger Strawberries
- Stir all ingredients together in medium bowl and allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the dish.
Bake the Shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 350º and oil two round 9 inch baking pans.
- Stir flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in medium mixing bowl. In separate bowl, stir together milk, oil and vanilla. Add to dry mixture and stir together with a fork. Mix to form a uniform dough. Divide into two balls. Press each into the bottom of one of your prepared baking pans.
- Bake until firm and just slightly browned on top, 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pans.
Make the Whipped Coconut Cream
- Open your cans of coconut milk or cream. The coconut cream solids should have separated our from the coconut water during refrigeration. Scoop the cream out from each can and into a large mixing bowl, discarding any water. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed, about 1 minute. Add agave and beat again to incorporate.
Assemble the Maple Ginger Strawberry Shortcake
- Set one shortbread cookie on a cake dish and layer with half of coconut whipped cream and strawberries. Top with other cookie, followed by remaining coconut whipped cream and berries. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for several hours.