These baked stuffed potatoes are filled with garlicky roasted broccoli and smothered in rich vegan tahini cheese sauce.
One of my favorite things when I first went vegetarian was this big stuffed potato from the deli at my local supermarket. It was stuffed with cheese and sour cream and scallions, but mostly dairy. Lots and lots of dairy. I loved those things. I’d stockpile them in my parents’ refrigerator for the nights when my mom made un-vegetarianizable things for dinner. I probably ate them for dinner at least five nights a week.
I don’t know why it took me so long to do this particular stuffed potato, because I’ve had this tahini cheese concept floating around in my head for a while. Here’s how it works: tahini, with its slightly nutty, rich, savory flavor, makes a great base for some oozy vegan cheese, and unlike some other vegan cheese bases, it’s already blended up for you and ready to go. All’s you gotta do is add some more flavor.
Does this taste exactly like cheese? I don’t know. It has (thankfully) been a very long time since I ate any of the liquid cheese that one might pour over a potato and broccoli for an item like this. I detected what I thought to be an uncanny resemblance in flavor to cheese the first time I tasted tahini all seasoned up like this. Regardless of what you detect, I think you’ll find it a super tasty sauce indeed.
Garlic Roasted Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes with Tahini Cheese Sauce
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 medium broccoli crown broken into florets
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º. Scrub potatoes and pierce a few times with a knife. Place in oven, directly on rack, and bake until easily pierecable with knife and skin is lightly crisp, about 50-60 minutes.
- While potatoes bake, toss broccoli with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange on baking sheet or in roasting pan and place into oven with potatoes. Roast until tender crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Thin with water or additional milk if desired. Taste test and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Cut open potatoes and stuff with broccoli. Drizzle with tahini sauce and serve.