These rich vegan chocolate doughnuts are topped with a creamy almond butter frosting and sprinkled with shredded coconut.
Good morning! Or is it good afternoon? Or does it really matter on a Sunday?
In any event, I brought the donuts. Rich, gooey, chocolate, almond butter dipped doughnuts. I’ve been looking for an excuse to use this almond butter frosting for a while, and I finally found it. These were perfect.
A word of warning, if you decide to bring the doughnuts somewhere: these are some sloppy suckers. Stick them in the fridge for a while to get the frosting set. Otherwise you will take a bath in the stuff (which doesn’t sound all that terrible when I think of it).
Also, and I think this is a first for me, I liked these better cold. Maybe it’s the August heat, but I don’t think so. I nearly always go for things hot. Out of the oven is my heaven. But after chilling these for a few hours and transporting one directly from the fridge to my face (merely because I was too lazy to zap it), I decided these little guys were best chilled, with a cold glass of soy milk on the side.
Coconut Almond Butter Frosted Vegan Chocolate Doughnuts
For the Chocolate Doughnuts
For the Almond Butter Frosting
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 2-3 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Make the Doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir milk, coconut oil, vanilla and flax together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Stir flour, sugar, cocoa powder, coconut, baking powder and together in medium mixing bowl. Add liquid mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in chips.
- Divide mixture into 8 or 9 cavities of doughnut pan. (Bake in batches if using a 6 cavity pan.)
- Bake 12 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely before removing from molds.
Make the Almond Butter Frosting
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl. Add a bit extra powdered sugar if it seems too thin, a bit more milk if too thick. Mixture should be just a bit on the runny side.
Top the Doughnuts
- Dip tops of doughnuts in almond butter frosting. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.