Chickpeas are cooked up in a skillet dressed in spicy Buffalo sauce and stuffed into piping hot baked potatoes to make this delicious no-fuss meal!
I don’t know about you guys, but December is beating me up a bit. I always forget how exhausting this time of year can get, and though I do think of myself as a cold weather person, I’m having a helluva time motivating when it’s freezing and dark out most all the time.
So I’m a little cranky. And a little lazy. And most days I’m working to get dinner made and photographed during the few hours when daylight is sufficient, fingers crossed it turns out good on the first try, all sandwiched between an ever growing piles of paperwork from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
This dinner was a welcome one. It seriously came together like magic in minutes. Okay, the potatoes don’t take minutes, but they also didn’t require much of me, aside from throwing them in the oven and walking away. As far as turning out good on the first try, I couldn’t have hoped for a tastier meal. All carby and spicy and energizing, and stuffed inside a neat little potato, which is not only tasty but highly convenient. Amid the holiday chaos I couldn’t have hoped for a more perfect meal. I hope this makes your December days a little easier as well.
Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Potatoes
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. maple syrup or agave
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 scallion chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Scrub potatoes and poke a few holes in each with a knife. Place in oven and bake until easily pierced with a knife, about 40-50 minutes.
- When potatoes have about 5 minutes left, heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and celery. Saute until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, hot sauce, maple or agave, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook about 2 minutes more, until sauce has thickened a bit.
- Cut a slit down the length of each potato and carefully open. Top with each with half of chickpea mixture and scallions.