These tempeh stuffed sweet potatoes are incredibly hearty, filled with a stir-fried ginger tempeh, and topped with rich and flavorful almond butter sauce.
Okay, okay, listen up…please. Normally, I don’t devote all that much of these posts to oohing and aahing over how good the food is. I prefer to bore you guys with my goofy stories of growing up vegetarian, discovering new foods, accidentally eating meat…you know, all the fun stuff, and let you make up your own minds on the food. Not today. This one is so good. I can hardly contain myself.
I don’t even know where to begin. This dish is a like a sensory journey over the rainbow. I mean, just look at it. Look! Oh, and smell it…oh, the smells. Smells, plural, meaning there are a bunch, and they do this magical dance that was absolutely killing me while I photographed this. Seriously, I’ve never photographed anything where I was so tempted to assault and devour the subject. There’s the roasty sweet potato smell, with which I’m sure you’re familiar. Then the’re the slightly pungent gingery-lime smell of the tempeh, and if you get real close you can pick up on the sweet nuttiness of the almond butter sauce.
At first, I wasn’t sure about the whole almond butter sauce thing. I love peanut sauce, and almond butter sauce is pretty much the same recipe, just with almond butter instead of peanut butter. Being one who generally prefers peanut butter, I thought almond butter sauce would be something like a lesser version of peanut sauce. Nope. It’s like a superstar version of peanut sauce! The texture is similar, but the flavor is smoother, slightly sweeter and somehow more velvety. From this day forth, I am an almond butter woman. (I’m still a peanut butter woman too.) When my boyfriend, who happens to love peanut sauce, showed up in the kitchen as I was making this (because with all those smells going on, how could you not?) I made him taste the almond butter sauce (because I had tasted it and was phyched!) and he was all “Woooowwwee…what did you put in there?”
So there you have it. This is a new favorite. Delicious, fragrant, and a meal that has it’s own little built-in bowl. Gotta love that. And love it you will, if you try it, which I sooooo hope you’ll do.
- 4 small or 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 8 oz. package tempeh, cubed
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp. creamy almond butter
- juice of 1 lime
- 1½ tbsp. agave
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Poke a few holes in each sweet potato with a knife.
- Bake until soft inside, 40-60 minutes, depending on size.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Begin when your sweet potatoes have about ten minutes to go.
- Stir ginger, garlic, lime juice and soy sauce together in a medium bowl. Add tempeh cubes and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add tempeh and bell pepper. Stir fry until peppers are tender and tempeh browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cut each sweet potato open lengthwise and stuff with tempeh mixture. Top with almond butter sauce, scallions and sriracha.