This hearty and flavorful vegan mulligatawny soup is made with fresh veggies simmered in a base of curried creamy yellow split peas.
Also know as Indian split pea soup with veggies. Well, at least my version is.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. chili powder *see note above on heat levels
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb. dried yellow split peas
- 1 cup diced tomatoes about 2 small or 1 large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Asian chili paste *again, see note above
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 cups fresh veggies of your choice **see my other note above - I used broccoli, snap peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan or stock pot.
- Add onion and sautee about five minutes, until soft.
- Add garlic, ginger and dried spices (everything up to paprika) and continue to sautee another minute or so.
- Add 6 cups of broth, peas, tomatoes and chili paste.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, about an hour.
- Remove from heat and puree in blender or food processor, in batches if necessary.
- Return to stove and add return to a simmer, adding additional broth if thinning is needed.
- Stir in veggies and lemon juice and simmer until veggies are just tender, about 5-10 minutes, depending on your preference.
- Ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.