(Eyes go wide and hands slap over mouth.)
So much for holiday surprises. I can’t keep a secret. This cake has tofu.
Don’t leave. You would never, ever, in a bizillion years know this cake had tofu in it if I fed it to you. I’d feed this to my dad, although I’m not sure if he’d be down with the whole rosemary thing. Wheatever. He’d eat rosemary to be polite. And he’d think this cake was loaded with butter.
I was seriously impressed with this cake. Not only does it have tofu, but it’s made with whole wheat flour. Whole wheat pastry flour to be exact, which has become my go-to baking flour as of late. It doesn’t taste like a whole wheat cake. It’s just as soft and delicate as any cake made with white flour. Not only that, but it has no refined oil. None! Okay, coconut milk has plenty of fat, but no refined oil. Little victories. And I used raw sugar. It’s your call if you want to go that route, but it makes me feel a little bit better.
Now, with all that in mind, I recognize that this cake is starting to sound like someone’s nightmare straight out of a 1970’s diet book. It’s cake though, so who cares what it sounds like? It tastes like pound cake your grandma would make. I dare you to give her this cake for the holidays, and I’ll bet you she’ll ask for the recipe if you do.
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour (could sub all purpose)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ lb. silken tofu
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar (could sub white sugar)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in small mixing bowl.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat together tofu, sugar and vanill using an electric mixer on high speed. Beat until completely blended, about 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, lemon juice and zest. Beat about 1 more minute, until blended. Add dry mixture, about ⅓ at a time, beating well between additions, until completely blended, adding rosemary along with the last addition.
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.