These vegan peanut butter oatmeal chocolate cookies are moist, tender, and bursting with sweet dark chocolate chips and rich peanut buttery flavor!
It’s makeover time. Who’s getting a makeover? My favorite cookie recipe that I’ve been enjoying since I first received it in eighth grade cooking class. Yes, my favorite. So why make it over? To veganize it!
We didn’t get a whole lot of vegan recipes in that class, but I can fix that. Has anyone had this experience: being a vegetarian youngster in middle or high school cooking class and having to awkwardly step back and ask to excuse yourself on meat cooking day(s)? Well I did. Repeatedly. Looking back, I was fortunate to have some understanding teachers – especially the one that taught my eighth grade class where I got this recipe. I actually have a nice collection of vegetarian recipes from that class, many of which I still use to this day. These cookies would be one of those recipes, although I just can’t imagine a cookie recipe including meat. Although there was an abundance of vegetarian food in that class, not so much for vegan food. There just weren’t as many vegans back then. I’m not sure what kind of recipes vegan school kids are getting these days, but I’m here to help.
In addition to eliminating the animal ingredients from this recipe, I tried to healthy it up a bit, in such a way so as to not downgrade the taste. Yes, the fat content is just as high as in the original. The added sugar is a bit lower, but the bananas make up for that in sweetness. These actually turned out tastier than the originals, which I did not think was possible. I have no idea why, but they were even moister and more buttery.
Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine such as Earth Balance, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups raw sugar
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cups whole spelt flour could sub all purpose
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray or grease cookie sheet(s).
- In large mixing bowl, mash bananas well with fork or potato masher.
- Add margarine, vanilla, sugar, molasses and peanut butter. Mix well.
- In separate bowl, mix all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix well.
- Fold in chips.
- Drop onto cookie sheets in dollops of about 2 tablespoons.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit a few minutes, to firm up, and then transfer cookies to cooling rack.