Bread slices are slathered in mango batter and sprinkled with coconut to make this vegan mango baked French toast. A perfect vegan main course for brunch!
This recipe brings together two of my most recent addictions: mangoes and vegan French toast. Vegan French toast is incredibly fun to experiment with. At some point during my last year of blogging I realized that there really isn’t any magic trick to the stuff. All you need is some good bread and a suitable batter that has a consistency similar to beaten eggs. Of course, your batter should probably be made from something that tastes good as well, but that’s the easy part. What started with banana soon led to sweet potato and now to mango. I suspect you could do something like this with many types of fruit purees (and I’m pretty set on trying). In some cases you might find that your consistency isn’t quite right, but that’s easy to fix. In this case a little flour did the trick.
The idea that French toast can be baked was another new thing for me. So far, I love baked and pan-fried French toast equally, and for different reasons, as far as taste is concerned. The pan-fried version is awesome because of the crispiness, and in the case of vegan fruit puree based French toast, that little bit of caramelization you get. Baked is great because the middle stays moist and sticky with fruity goodness. Taste aside though, baked French toast wins in terms of ease. I love slathering up a bunch of bread and popping a whole baking dish full of breakfast in the oven at once.
This particular baked French toast was one of the most amazingly gooiest I’ve ever had. It was pretty darn sweet, even without adding any extra sugar, so I’d suggest holding off on the maple syrup until you’ve tried a test bite. I’d be willing to bet this batter would also work well as a pan-fried French toast, particularly in view of that highly caramelizable sweetness from the mangoes, but I haven’t tried it out myself. If anyone does give that a go please let me know how it is!
Vegan Mango Baked French Toast
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp margarine melted
- 6-10 slices of bread
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut optional
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel mangoes and cut into chunks. Place in blender or food processor along with milk, flour and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Brush the bottom of a 9 x 9 baking dish with melted margarine, then sprinkle with a layer of coconut (if using) and spread a bit of your mango batter over the bottom to coat.
- Brush both sides of bread slices generously with batter and arrange in baking dish. If you've got some extra batter at the end, brush it on top or just squeeze a few more bread slices in.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to set for a few minutes after removing from oven. Cut into squares and sprinkle with a bit of shredded coconut. Top with margarine and (maybe) some maple syrup.