Ask yourself this: would some nachoey flavor taste good in a grilled cheese sandwich? Well, there you have your answer. And this tasted darn good.
As soon as I made my vegan nacho sweet potato cheese I kind of knew this had to happen. In truth, I thought of many things that had to happen, and never minding the fact that I totally missed Thursday’s festivities for National Nachos Day, grilled cheese seemed like the most unobvious choice, so I figured starting there was a good idea.
I should mention that this is one of the sloppiest grilled cheeses I’ve ever eaten. If you know vegan cheese you probably expect this. While I enjoy playing around in the kitchen in the dairy-free cheese department, I’m usually too lazy to include solidifying agents, like agar. The other thing with agar is that it doesn’t melt, so while you can firm up your cheese a bit, there’s no turning back. So, given the choice between an ultra sloppy grilled cheese and an ultra firm one, I’ll take sloppy any day.
Your cheese will spooge, your tomatoes will slide, but I promise this will be delicious. This is a great one for giving your kids, but not if you park them on your brand new carpet. I’m willing to bet it will be their all-time favorite grilled cheese.
Vegan Grilled Cheese with Sweet Potato Nacho Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1/4 cup vegan sweet potato nacho cheese
- 2-4 to mato slices about 1/2 large tomato or 1 small
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a large skillet with oil and place over medium heat.
- Spread vegan nacho sweet potato cheese over 1 bread slice. Top with tomato slices, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then top with other bread slice.
- Place in skillet and cook until golden brown on bottom, 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes on opposite side.
Feel free to skip the tomato if you're not into it. Feel free also to improvise and add your favorite grilled cheese stuffers...spinach, onions, hot peppers, or whatever else you might be into.