These fluffy vegan granola pancakes are filled with crunchy granola, for an extra hearty and flavorful breakfast.
When I first started making granola, my mom suggested sprinkling it on top of oatmeal. I was all “Nooooooo. That’s ridiculous. Oats on top of oats. Not gonna try that.” I feel really silly now. That was a great idea. Not “oats on top of oats.” Crunchy toasted oats on top of warm creamy oats. I now eat this all the time.
I probably would’ve reacted similarly had someone suggested putting granola in pancakes. Before that ever happened though, someone served me a granola pancake. I didn’t even know what I was eating. All I knew was the pancake had something lovely and crunchy and flavorful inside of it. Nuts? Dried fruit? Both actually, along with some toasty oats. Yes!
It seems a little decadent. Carb filled carby pancakes. With maple syrup, which is important, because it soaks in and coats all the little granola bits and is awesome. I think I’m unconsciously squeezing in as much decadence as I can before January begins, when everyone seems more interested in salad than carb stuffed carbs.
You can use pretty much any variety of granola here. If you prefer store bought, use that. If you’re adventurous and like to make your own, give one of these a go:
Cranberry Orange Spice Granola (pictured)
I’ve also got a recipe for Sesame Quinoa Granola, though the texture is completely different, so I’m a little nervous about suggesting that without actually trying it in the pancakes. (If anyone else does, please let me know how it works out.)
These pancakes are also good for this time of year because they don’t require you acquiring produce that’s not in season. Berries are usually my favorite pancake filler, but during the winter they’re either super expensive, questionably fresh, or, most often, both. Granola is always in season. Hurrah! Granola is most especially in season this time of year though, if you ask me. And if you’ve gotten to this point in the post, you’ll surely understand why granola pancakes are especially-especially in season. Happy holiday breakfasting.
Vegan Granola Pancakes
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour could sub all-purpose
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or another neutral flavored baking oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup granola your favorite variety
- Stir flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Whisk milk, oil and vanilla together in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Fold in granola.
- Lightly oil or spray skillet or griddle. Place over medium heat. Drop pancake batter by 1/4 to 1/3 cupfulls. Cook until small bubbles form in batter, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes on opposite side, until lightly browned.
- Top with a bit of extra granola, fresh fruit and/or maple syrup.
Make sure to break up any really big clusters of granola before adding it, otherwise you'll have big granola lumps in your pancakes.