This tofu scramble is a delicious savory vegan breakfast, made with spiced tofu, kale and crispy potatoes. Delicious on it’s own or stuffed in a tortilla!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 red potatoes, diced into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 package (about 14 oz.) firm or extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- about 1/2 cup of crumbled veggie sausage or chopped links, optional
- 2 cups sliced kale
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce, Cholula works well
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- black pepper
- kala namak optional, gives it an eggy flavor
Optional, for Serving
- English muffin
- cheese Daiya pepperjack works nice
- hot sauce
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and cook until they begin to brown, about ten minutes, flipping occasionally frequently.
- Add onion and continue to sauté for about another two minutes, until onion begins to soften, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about another thirty seconds.
- Break tofu into bite-sized chunks and add to skillet, followed by kale, veggie sausage if using, nutritional yeast, spices, soy sauce and hot sauce.
- Continue cooking and flipping about another five minutes.
- Finally, add bell pepper, cook about another two minutes, so pepper is hot but still crispy. Remove from heat and season with black pepper and optionally spinkle with some kala namak.
- Scoop onto plate, toast or a warm tortilla for a breakfast burrito.
- Top with scallions, shredded cheese, ketchup, hot sauce, ketchup mixed with hot sauce, avocado, or whatever else you think might be delish.
Nutrition information does not include vegan sausage.