These vegan butternut squash burgers are made with creamy white beans and Thai massaman curry paste and topped with rich peanut sauce.
It’s true. I was hungry when I made these. They were damn tasty, which I knew they would be because the filling was damn tasty, which is why I couldn’t keep my fingers out of the food processor bowl. I kind of suspected they’d be delicious…I mean, butternut squash, massaman curry…two of my favorite flavors on the planet (and this isn’t the first time the two have met on this blog). I wasn’t totally sure that they would be able to work their flavor magic in burger form though. Would it be the same without coconut milk? Would the white beans change the flavor?
In addition to being deliciously packed with flavor, these burgers share another of my favorite aspects of Thai curries – they don’t require a whole lot of ingredients. In fact, the burgers themselves only require seven ingredients. That’s because all that amazing flavor is packed into the curry paste. If you’re looking for a vegan massaman curry paste (and if you are, look out for fish sauce, which is in most), look no further than this blog. Don’t feel like making your own? Okay, look a little further. Amazonwill hook you up.
Thai Massaman Curry Butternut Burgers with Peanut Sauce
For the Massaman Curry Butternut Burgers
- 3 cups diced butternut squash 12 oz.
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil divided
- 1-15 oz. can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 1/2 tbsp. massaman curry paste store-bought or homemade
- 2 scallions chopped
- salt to taste
For the Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbsp. creamy natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. agave
- 1-2 tsp. sriracha
- 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 burger buns sliced open
- a few handfuls of lettuce or your favorite burger leafies
Make the Massaman Curry Butternut Burgers
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss butternut squash cubes with 1/2 tablespoon of oil until evenly coated. Arrange in an even layer on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, flipping about halfway through. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place cooked butternut squash into food processor bowl, along with beans, panko, curry paste, scallions and salt. Blend briefly, just until completely mixed, stopping to scape down sides of bowl as needed. Shape into 4 patties.
- Coat a large skillet with remaining oil and place over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, arrange patties on skillet. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 5 minutes, flip and cook until browned on opposite sides, about 5 minutes more. Add a bit more oil to skillet between batches if it becomes too dry.
Make the Peanut Sauce
- Whisk ingredients together in small bowl.
Assemble the Burgers
- Place a burger patty on the bottom half of each bun. Top with greens, peanut sauce, and top half of bun.