Pan fried tofu slabs are drizzled with soy sauce and sprinkled with a savory Thai coconut rub spice blend. This flavorful tofu goes deliciously atop a salad, stuffed in a sandwich, or on it’s own.
I love food gifts. Whenever a friend goes on vacation and asks what type of souvenir I’d like, they can be sure I’ll respond with some type of food. Sauces, spices, dressings…it all works for me. What I especially love though is receiving some seemingly un-vegetarian appropriate food gift and totally reclaiming it for the vegetarian world.
Thai Coconut Rubbed Tofu
For the Thai Coconut Rub Spice Blend
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. dried lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
For the Tofu
- 1/2 lb. extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1-2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Thai coconut rub spice blend
Prepare the Spice Blend
- Mix all ingredients. Blend can be stored in a sealed container.
Prepare the Tofu
- Drain and press tofu for at least 10 minutes, then cut into 1/2" thick slabs.
- Heat oil over medium in a medium skillet. Add tofu slabs and pan fry about five minutes, or just until golden brown on bottoms.
- Flip and cook about another five minutes, or until the other side is golden brown.
- Lower heat to medium. Drizzle each slab with half of your soy sauce and then sprinkle with 1 tbsp. spice blend, spreading around with the back of a spoon as needed.
- Cook about 1 minute, then gently flip slabs and drizzle the other side with remaining soy sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp. of spice blend. Some of the spice will fall off of the tofu. It just happens. Don't worry about it - do your best to keep as much on there as you can and everything will be just fine.
- Cook about another minute, then gently flip again. Cook another minute just to get that last addition of spices nice and toasty.