Pan-fried slabs of mango tofu in a spicy sweet sauce are cooked up with crisp summer green beans in this flavorful Thai-inspired stir fry.
Someday I am going to be so organized. I just know it! A day will come when I’ll consistently have all of my blog posts ready to go, days and days in advance, and all I’ll have to do on my chosen posting day is hit a button and watch the blogosphere light up with vegan goodness. I’m so excited about this prospect.
Alas, that day is not today. In fact, this isn’t even the post I had scheduled for today, but things get hectic and don’t go as planned, and I always try to keep a tasty little post or two tucked away for just that reason.
This means I’m pretty much dropping you off with a recipe today, and not a whole lot of words, except to say that this was delicious, and an adaptation of a seitan based recipe I posted way back in my early blogging days. The photos in that post needed a makeover, and so I decided to go and revamp the whole recipe, swapping out seitan and doing a recipe for mango tofu instead. Both were great, and if you’re longing for seitan and/or more babbling about food from me, fear not, there will be plenty of both later on this week if all goes as planned.
Spicy Mango Tofu Stir Fry
For the Mango Sauce
- 1 large ripe mango peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Asian chili paste
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
For the Tofu Stir-Fry
- Place mango, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, cumin, chili paste and cornstarch into food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl or pitcher as needed. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick triangles or strips.
- Coat a large, flat bottomed skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add tofu pieces in a single layer. Cook until lightly browned on bottoms, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on opposite sides, about 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, along with garlic, ginger, white parts of scallions and dried chili peppers. Saute for 1 minute. Raise heat to high and add green beans. Stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tofu back to skillet, along with mango sauce. Flip a few times to incorporate and cook for about 1 minute, just until sauce thickens a bit and coats tofu and green beans.
- Divide onto plate and sprinkle with green parts of scallions. Serve with jasmine rice.