These fluffy vegan pear scones are stuffed with bits of juicy pears and dark chocolate chunks. A perfect light dessert or part of a decadent breakfast!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItMerrier #CollectiveBias
How was your Thanksgiving? Well, it’s over now and I guess we’re officially into the holiday season. Get ready!
It’s hard to believe that we’ve got just about a month left in 2015, but I for one am looking forward to slowing down and spending some time celebrating the end of year holidays. Between blogging and lawyering, this year’s pretty much been go, go, go for me. Some chill time with friends and family is most certainly in order.
What that chill time consists of can vary from year to year, but one thing I always look forward to is some time at my parents’ house on Christmas morning. Not a year has gone by that I’ve missed that. When I was in college and law school, I’d drive out to mom and dad’s and spend a few days. When I was a new lawyer and living alone in the city, I’d drive out with Cody, because he’s diabetic so he had to come along so I could give him his insulin shots. A few years ago I met my husband, and since then we’ve spent Christmas eve at home, but we still head out to the peeps house for Christmas morning brunch.
Even though the tradition has changed slightly, the routine is still pretty much the same. Brunch, gift giving, and a few hours of lounging around the Christmas tree, sipping on coffee the whole time. I think of this as a Christmas morning routine, but it always happens that it’s dark out before we know it, and we’re all still chilling out with our coffee and brunch treats.
Being as it is a holiday, the brunch always includes a few splurges, and in particular some baked goods that we can munch on all day long with our coffee. This year, it’ll be a day-long feast of these chocolate chunk pear scones accompanied by Starbucks Holiday Blend. The scones are for my husband. Pears are his favorite, and since he’s a newish addition to my family’s Christmas celebration, I thought it’d be nice to contribute something to the feast that he’d dig. The Starbucks Holiday Blend is a favorite that someone actually gifted me a few years back. It became a favorite and I’ve been partying with it every Christmas since. It’s a flavorful, medium roast coffee that will please everyone.
I picked up my Starbucks Holiday Blend from the coffee and tea aisle at my local Acme market. It’s in the area where you find the bags of coffee (the good stuff). Most supermarkets carry this stuff, so you should have no trouble snagging a bag of your own.
You can get more info on Starbucks Holiday Blend and any other Starbucks blend you might want to celebrate with this holiday season at starbucks.com. Get a $5 Starbucks Card e-gift when you purchase 3 or more qualifying Starbucks products.
Spiced Pear Chocolate Chunk Scones
For the Scones
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 small pear peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
For the Cinnamon Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
Make the Scones
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. In a separate, smaller bowl, stir together milk, olive oil and maple syrup. Add to try ingredients and stir until completely blended. Knead dough a bit with your hands if necessary to fully incorporate wet and dry ingredients. Stir in pear and chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough onto lightly floured surface and press into a circle of about 10 inches in diameter, 1 inch in thickness. Use a large knife to cut dough through the center, into 8 triangles.
- Transfer dough triangles to baking sheet, spacing evenly. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl, adding a bit extra powdered sugar if mixture seems to thin, more milk if it seems to thick.
- Drizzle over scones when cool. Serve.
Oh look, there’s my husband now, picking up the coffee for me. What a sweetie. He totally deserves some pear scones.
Head on over to the Starbucks website to learn all about Starbucks Holiday Blend and all the other delicious and celebration-worthy Starbucks blends, and then go get some for yourself and start celebrating!