Smashed cannellini beans in garlicky tahini dressing with crisp romaine leaves are stuffed between crusty bread slices in this vegan Caesar salad sandwich.
Every now and then I go back and update the photos from one of my earlier posts. Good recipes deserve a little love, and less than stellar photos shouldn’t stand in the way of that if you ask me. Also every now and then, and lately most of the time, I end up making changes to the recipe and sharing a whole new post in lieu of updating the old one. That’s what happened here, but the new recipe bears little resemblance to the original.
Most of the time I don’t even link you to the original post, but you guys can see this one. Not terrible, but the shiny purple tablecloth and soft focus make it look like little dramatic. Vampy salad. I would have been all about that salad back in 1996 with my dyed black hair and fishnet stockings.
The thing that occurred to me when I got ready to reshoot that one was this: you guys don’t like salad. Okay, let me qualify that. You don’t like salad posts. That’s okay! I tend to skip salads from my favorite food blogs too. I love salad. I eat multiple salads on most days, but unless you do something really cool like a nacho salad or pizza salad or something, I’m all “Yeah, I know how to make a salad. Thanks!” (Note to self: work on pizza salad and nacho salad recipes.)
So we ended up with a sandwich. And beans, because it’s eight hundred degrees out today, and it’s gross, so I’m not even prepared to fire up the microwave. Shove a bunch of stuff in a bowl, then shove it in some bread. That’s my kind of late July meal.
Smashed Bean Tahini Caesar Salad Sandwich
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 tsp. agave or maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2-4 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1-14 oz. can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 4 slices good sandwich bread
- a few lettuce leaves optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice, miso, agave or maple syrup, garlic and black pepper. Thin with milk to desired consistency.
- Place cannellini beans into medium bowl and lightly mash about half the beans with a fork or potato masher. Add romaine lettuce, parsley and tahini mixture. Stir to incorporate.
- Spread mixture between pairs of bread slices and top with lettuce leaves, if using.
If you prefer your Caesar in more traditional (i.e. salad) form, check out my classic vegan Caesar.