These hearty roasted vegetable sandwiches are made with broccoli, peppers, mushrooms and onions, all stuffed into a baguette that’s been slathered with rich and flavorful roasted garlic aioli.
I know. You’ve seen a million roasted veggie sandwich recipes. Who am I to offer up another one? Here’s the thing though: these roasted vegetable sandwiches are all about the aioli. Truth be told, I really just came up with the sandwiches as a vehicle for the aioli, which I’ve been pretty much eating by the spoonful all week.
The aioli was initially intended to be an accompaniment to another recipe, which still needs some tweaking. I liked the stuff so much that I figured I’d be putting it into at least one other dish, and I figured, why not get started on that right away? So expect to see this stuff again. Hopefully soon.
About that aioli, ripe avocados make an amazing base. I’ve been incorporating avocados into my dishes a lot lately, and there’s more to come. More and more I find myself brainstorming for a plant-based replacement for some type of creamy or fatty ingredient, and I end up at avocados. Spreads, sauces, creams, even in baking, they do the job and they do it beautifully and simply. And apparently when you mix them up with some roasted garlic you end up with a rich buttery aioli that tastes millions of times better than the best non-vegan sandwich spread you’ve ever tried.
I decided to go simple for the sandwiches. Since there’s so much flavor in the spread, you don’t need to do a whole lot to the veggies. In fact, it really doesn’t even matter all that much what veggies you use. I just went with what I had on hand, and you can feel free to do the same.
Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Roasted Garlic Avocado Aioli
For the Roased Garlic Aioli
- l bulb garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
- 1 small broccoli crown cut into florets
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 small onion sliced into strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-6 inch sandwich rolls or baguette sections sliced open
Make the Roasted Garlic Aioli,
- Preheat oven to 400º. Using a sharp knife, cut the top off of garlic bulb, so as to expose as many of the cloves as possible. Place over a sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Loosely wrap with foil.
- Bake until cloves are soft and lightly browned, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and unwrap. Allow to cool.
- Place garlic into food processor bowl with remaining ingredients and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Make the Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
- Place vegetables in roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- A little more than halfway through garlic's cook time, place vegetables in oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or to desired tenderness.
- Slather insides of rolls or baguette with aioli and stuff with vegetables.