This sweet and savory stuffed delicata squash is roasted to melt-in-your mouth tenderness and stuffed with hearty quinoa, walnuts and spiced apples!
Just to be clear, vegetarian food is awesome. Duh. I blog about it just about every day. It is the vegetarian entree that’s bad. Consider this: ever go to, say, a wedding and request the vegetarian entree. They plop a plate of overcooked pasta in front of you. Everyone else looks over their steaks upon you with pity.
Time to get over that! Time to get psyched up for the vegetarian entree. This Thanksgiving, make your family jealous. Look at them with pity, and remind them that you totally offered to cook up some extra squash for them. Sorry peeps. Maybe next year.
Seriously though, this thing is awesomeness on a plate. I can’t wait for Thanksgiving because I get to eat it again. This is it. Serve me this stuffed delicata squash at Thanksgiving dinner and I’m happy. You can even skip the mashed potatoes. I won’t complain.
This dish almost didn’t happen. I recognize that I bombarded my readership with squash this year, and I’ve even already covered delicata. But when I saw yet another stash of these beautiful squash at the supermarket, I couldn’t help myself. I picked one up thinking I’d snack on it or something, because I will snack on squash, but this recipe is what happened, and it had to be my Thanksgiving vegetarian entree. Don’t skip the vegetarian entree this year.
You might think, based on a quick read of the recipe, that this would be on the sweet side. It’s not. It has some sweetness, but cooking the quinoa in vegetable broth adds plenty of savory to balance out the sweet. It’s also very filling. I ate a squash half for dinner, with nothing else but a handful of salad, kinda like what I’ve shown in the pictures, and I was full. Like, done. No dessert done. So if you do happen to have an abundance of vegetarian sides, you could totally get away with squeezing four servings out of this squash, lest you end up feeling like a stuffed squash yourself. So, maybe a few well-behaved family members will get to partake in your delicious vegetarian entree. Be prepared though, as they’ll probably ask you to host Thanksgiving next year.
Five Spice Roasted Apple and Quinoa Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 1 medium delicata squash
- 2 tsp. olive oil divided
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. five spice powder
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt to taste
Roast the Apple and Delicata Squash
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut the ends off of squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds. Rub each half with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Place on baking sheet.
- Place apple, walnuts, maple syrup, olive oil and five spice powder in medium bowl and toss until well mixed. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake squash and apple mixture until tender. This should take about 20-25 minutes for the apple, and about 35 minutes for the squash.
Cook the Quinoa
- While apple mixture and squash roasts, place quinoa and broth in small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and lower heat. Allow to simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and Allow to sit, covered, for another 5 minutes.
Stuff the Delicata Squash
- Add apple mixture to quinoa and stir a few times to mix ingredients well. Season with salt to taste. Divide mixture between the two squash halves.