These healthy poppy seed lime muffins are free of refined sugar, gluten and are totally vegan. Served with a side of date butter and made from a base of quinoa and oat flour, they’re as healthy as they are delicious.
A few weeks ago I offered to bring dessert to a family event in which we had an attendee who was off of gluten, dairy and refined sugar. I’m sure you’ve figured out by now that dairy free isn’t a problem for me. I’d probably also be okay tacking on one of the other two restrictions, but all three, I wasn’t sure about. I promised to bring a delicious dessert for the gluten and sugar eaters, and to try my best to come up with something else that contained neither.
I ended up with these muffins, and to tell the truth, I was a little apologetic. Not that they’re bad! They’re delicious and are, in fact, void of dairy, refined sugar and gluten. I just didn’t find them to be terribly desserty. I presented them with a disclaimer that they were more of a breakfast-type muffin. I stand by that, but here’s the thing: everybody loved them! Like, everybody, as in everybody! Dairy, sugar and gluten eaters alike. I didn’t even expect everyone to eat them.
So there you go. Healthy can be delicious. Also healthy and delicious is the cup of tea you see in some of the photos. It’s from a sample of Detox Tea I received from Lotus Forest. Like the muffins, I didn’t expect the tea to be nearly as tasty as it was. It was refreshing and had just the slightest hint of natural sweetness.
Quinoa Poppy Seed Lime Muffins with Date Butter
For the Muffins
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
For the Date Butter
- 16 medjool dates pitted and soaked in water 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
Make the Muffins
- Place quinoa and water in small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin cups with papers.
- Place oats in food processor and blend to a fine powder. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups of your cooked quinoa, lime zest, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Stir to blend.
- In separate bowl, mix coconut milk, soy or almond milk, maple syrup, lime juice and coconut oil. Add to dry ingredient mixture and stir just until blended.
- Divide into muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes.
Make the Date Butter:
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.