This grilled almond butter mango sandwich is a rich, sweet and decadent crispy grilled panini that makes a delicious breakfast, lunch or snack!
There’s a place in your life for this sandwich. I can’t tell you where or what exactly that place is. That’s for you to decide, but I’m pretty certain you’ve got room.
This wasn’t supposed to be a post. This was something I threw together on a whim. For me it was an after workout snack. It might be the same for you, or maybe it’s breakfast. It could even be lunch – I’ll admit it’s a little on the sweet and rich side for lunch, but if PB&J is acceptable lunch material, then so is this. The grilled almond butter and mango sandwich just might be the new PB&J.
This sandwich is the product of some degree of sandwich evolution. It didn’t even start as a sandwich. Some time last summer I got hooked on peach toast. I ate peach toast for breakfast as late into the season as I could, until probably some time in October when I made off with the year’s last few (and honestly, not so great) peaches. I was a little lost for about a week, before replacing peaches with mangoes. Mango toast then became my weekday breakfast for a while. Just recently I explained the concept of mango toast to my boyfriend, who seemed intrigued, so one day after returning from the gym, I decided to introduce him. But since it wasn’t a weekday morning like it usually is when I make my mango toast, I decided to go a little more elaborate, and this happened.
His reaction told me that I had to blog it. In fact, he specifically instructed me to blog it, and on my highest traffic day so that everyone would know about it, no less. I don’t know if today is my highest traffic day, but it’s the day I picked. A little sandwich sweetness to get you over the Wednesday hump.
Grilled Almond Butter Mango Sandwich
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 ripe mango thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- olive oil
- Slather each bread slice with half of your almond butter.
- Sprinkle each almond butter layer with half of your cinnamon.
- Arrange mango slices over one of your almond buttered bread slices, then place the other over mango, almond butter side down.
- Brush skillet with olive oil to coat and place over medium heat.
- Place sandwich in skillet and cook until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side, until browned, about 3 minutes.