This healthy kale smoothie is delicious and refreshing, with fresh orange, ginger, and a light fizz from kombucha.
I can see how this smoothie might make some people a little nervous, and I’ll be honest, I was nervous about it myself. I’ve always been a little reluctant with kale smoothies, mainly because I like to eat kale a whole lot. Drinking it didn’t sound that appealing to me. However, I do love a good smoothie after a workout, and for the most part the smoothies on this site are of the sweet and creamy variety. I figured if there was a time to try sucking down some kale, it was in January, after a month of sucking down candy and cookies.
I included kombucha in this blend not so much for any health benefit, but more because I just love the taste of kombucha and I though it’d be nice. It added a little tang to the smoothie along with just a bit of fizz. If you’re intimidated by kombucha, this is a good way to give it a try. If you’re totally against drinking the stuff, that’s okay too. This would still be delicious if you subbed some water or fruit juice. Orange or apple juice would work well, just watch out and make sure you’re using something that’s all juice and not loaded with refined sugar.
Citrus Ginger Kale Smoothie with Kombucha
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves stems removed
- 1 banana optionally frozen
- 1 navel orange seeds removed
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled
- 1 cup kombucha could sub fruit juice or water
- Place kale, banana, orange and ginger in blender and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of pitcher as needed.
- Add kombucha and blend again until smooth.