This post is sponsored by Single Edition Media on behalf of KitchenAid. As always, all opinions are 100% mine.
These sweet and mildly spiced gingerbread latte muffins are infused with robust brewed coffee, topped with a sweet coffee glaze and sprinkled with tender shredded coconut.
This is what happens when I get really busy with the holidays approaching…coffee in everything! I’m kidding. Well sort of. I’ll admit, I might gulp down an extra cup or two of Joe during the busy days of December, but I totally did not make these muffins with an aim towards getting more caffeine into my system. In fact, if that’s your goal, good luck, because the whole dozen of these suckers has the equivalent of about a cup of coffee’s worth of caffeine. I’ve been munching on these as bedtime snacks for days with no problems whatsoever.
I had a few other things in mind when I cooked up these muffins. First, coffee goes so good with just about anything sweet, and in particular, all the things in these muffins. Coffee + chocolate = delish. Coffee + spices = yummers. Coffee + molasses = may sound a little weird, but got hooked on this combination after realizing I was out of any other sweeter one morning. And everybody knows that coffee and muffins are a match made in holiday breakfast heaven, so basically, these chocolate chip gingerbread muffins had to happen.
I also got the chance to work with KichenAid for this post, to showcase the flavor of coffee in a recipe inspired by one of their new craft coffee brewers. This particular recipe was inspired by the Precision Press brewer. French pressing is my favorite way to brew coffee, and it yields a particularly strong, robust brew, which is perfect for when you’re baking up some coffee-infused sweets and want to add lots of coffee flavor, without adding too much liquid to your recipe.
You can check out KitchenAid’s social media profiles for more information on the Precision Press, as well as their other craft coffee brewers, and to keep up on product updates and discounts.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Latte Muffins
For the Gingerbread Latte Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, any neutral flavored baking oil works
- 1/4 cup molasses, not blackstrap
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
For the Coffee Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Make the Gingerbread Latte Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375° and line 12 muffin cups with papers.
- Stir flour, brown sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves together in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together coffee, oil, molasses and vanilla. Add liquid mixture to dry and stir just until blended. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Divide batter into muffin cups and bake 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
- While muffins cool, stir powdered sugar and coffee together in a small bowl.
Finish the Muffins
- When muffins are cool, drizzle with glaze and sprinkle with coconut.