These vegan cherry muffins are bursting with summer cherries and sprinkled with a toasted oat and coconut topping.
More cherries. Did I say something earlier this week about using up the last of the summer cherries? Looks like I found a few more. Also looks like I wasn’t kidding about my new found love of these juicy little sweetness bombs. This isn’t even one of those “Oh, I had leftover ingredients from my last recipe, so I had to come up with something clever to do with them” posts (though I am likely to do that from time to time). I went out and bought another giant bag of cherries ’cause I just couldn’t resist. I declare this “Cherry Week” to celebrate Labor Day and a short workweek, the remaining pieces of summer fruit we can all enjoy, the incoming fall, and basically all that good stuff. Hooray!
These muffins were a great little snack. I should warn you that they aren’t too sweet, despite my having filed them under “Sweets” in my index, which honestly needs some recategorizing at this point (I’ll get there). If you’re looking for a more desserty muffin, you can easily achieve that by simply upping the sugar content. It’s that easy. I like these without too much added sugar. My boyfriend may have put it best when he commented “Oh, nice! The muffin part isn’t too sweet, but you get some nice sweetness from the cherries.” Exactly what I was going for.
The crumble topping adds some sweetness as well, and I really love all that toasty coconut on top. You can omit it if you don’t have all of the ingredients/are short on time/don’t like coconut, but I think it adds a nice touch. Makes them feel all special. Isn’t that what we’re all looking for in a muffin?
Cherry Oatmeal Crumble Top Muffins
For the Muffin Base
- 2 tbsp. ground flax seeds + 1/4 cup water whisked together and allowed to sit for about ten minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries pitted and chopped
For the Crumble Topping
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 400. Line 12 muffin cups with papers.
- Mix your topping ingredients together in small bowl.
- Next, mix muffin base ingredients in medium mixing bowl, starting with flour, oats, salt and baking powder.
- Add next three ingredients and flax seed mixture. Stir just until mixed.
- Fold in cherries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of topping.
- Bake for about twenty minutes or until springy and topping begins to brown.