Crunchy oats are tossed with coconut and pecans, baked up with lemon juice and zest, and tossed with dried cherries in this refreshing lemon granola.
I gave out granola instead of cookies this past holiday season. I figured everyone would have enough cookies on their hands and appreciate some breakfast. People’s reactions were a bit surprising. Oh, everyone thought the my homemade granola was tasty as heck, but quite a few giftees weren’t sure what to do with it, and some even informed me they never knew the stuff even existed outside of bar form.
Well, in case you’re one of those people and you’ve been reading my blog and the bizillion and a half granola recipes it comes with, wondering what to do with the stuff, here you go: it’s cereal! And as such, you eat it just like any cereal you’d get out of a box at the store. Only difference: homemade cereal is so much better.
In any event, the arrival of spring means I’ll be eating a lot more granola in my favorite way – on my front porch. (Which, in turn, means it’s likely I’ll be posting more granola recipes as well.) Granola and my front porch are two of my favorite things about spring, and this blend of lemon and coconut is particularly light and refreshing, making it an ideal springtime granola. Perfect.
Cherry Lemon Granola
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar or your favorite type of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 cups rolled oats optionally gluten free
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Place sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice and lemon extract in small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until sugar is completely melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut oil.
- Stir together oats, coconut, pecans, lemon zest and salt in large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice mixture and stir until oats are evenly blended.
- Divide mixture among baking sheets, spreading in even layers. Bake 30 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely. Transfer to airtight storage container and mix in cherries.