This luscious raw cheesecake is made with a creamy cashew mixture studded with fresh fruit chunks and spread over a decadent raw brownie crust.
Welcome to the unofficial last weekend of summer. I can’t say I’m bummed about the whole thing, to be honest. It cooled off quite a bit over the last few days, and it’s been awesome.
When it comes to desserts, it doesn’t get much more summery than a berry infused raw cheesecake. I think I may have waited until the end of summer to share this one because I’m celebrating the forthcoming cooler weather.
So, about this cheesecake! You won’t miss the dairy. I say that about all my vegan cheesecakes though. For once, I’ll say this: you won’t miss the cooked! I certainly didn’t, and in fact, I think raw just might be my favorite way to do vegan cheesecake. I keep lowering the degree of cooked in my cheesecakes (regular old vegan cheesecake -> no bake cheescake -> raw!), and they just get better and better. I never would’ve expected this, but now that I’m here, I’m pretty sure raw is the way to go, summertime or not. I just might be whipping out these babies for Christmas!
I wanted to do something a little extra special, hence the sauce, fruit and raw brownie crust. That’s a lot of special. But, don’t feel obligated to stick with any of them. Make this cake your own! Here’s a few ideas:
Not down with the raw chocolate crust? Leave out the cacao!
Not down with any chocolate? Skip the sauce.
Want more chocolate? Add some cacao to the cashew mixture.
Switch up the fruit with your faves or whatever is in season.
That’s all I’ve got for today! I’m posting this early enough in the weekend to give you plenty of time to get some cashews soaking, so you can serve it up at your Labor Day gatherings. I’ll be doing the same!
Black Bottom Raw Cheesecake
For the Brownie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups dates, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
For the Raw Cheesecake
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water 4 to 8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh berries or diced fresh fruit of choice, plus extra for serving
For the Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
Make the Brownie Crust
- Place all ingredients into food processor and process until very finely chopped and crumbly. Test the mixture by pressing a bit together in your hands. If it holds together, it's ready - if not, pulse a few more times.
- Lightly oil the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan. Press crust mixture into pan firmly, in an even layer.
Make the Raw Cheesecake
- Place all ingredients except for fruit into food processor bowl. Process until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Arrange fruit in an even layer over crust. Pour cashew mixture over fruit and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until completely set, about 4 hours, or freeze for about 2 hours.
Make the Chocolate Sauce
- Whisk cacao and maple syrup together in a medium bowl. Thin with water as needed.
- If cheesecake is frozen, remove it from the freezer at least 20 minutes before serving. Slice and divide onto plates. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with fruit.
Prep time does not include chill time.