Rich coconut milk infused rice is topped with a blend of back beans and mango in these sweet, savory and spicy tropical-inspired coconut rice bowls.
What can I really say about this one? It’s as good as dessert. It could almost be a dessert. Mango. Coconut. People are even putting black beans into brownies these days. In other words, it’s good. I think my original intention was to create some type of burrito bowl, but then I got a bit carried away with the mango and the coconut, and before I knew it there was no way I could add anything else to this dish, and it didn’t much resemble a burrito. I’ll probably try again for a burrito bowl down the road. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get carried away and end up with something totally new and inspired, again.
It’s been a week…the kind of week where I wish I had one of these bowls waiting for me at the end of it, and it’s still going on. I’m not going to babble a whole lot about how good these were. I think you can figure that out by just reading the title of the post. So that’s about it. Enjoy and have an awesome weekend!
Black Bean, Mango & Coconut Rice Bowls
- coconut rice
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced.
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 ripe mangoes diced (about 2 cups)
- 1-14 oz. can or 1 3/4 cups cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp. agave or to taste, depending on how sweet your mangoes are
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 scallions chopped
- hot sauce for serving (optional)
- Prepare coconut rice according to recipe directions.
- While coconut rice cooks, coat a medium skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red bell pepper and jalapeño. Sauté until onion and pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mango, beans, lime juice, agave, cumin salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until mangoes are tender and mixture is thick and slightly syrupy, about 2 minutes.
- Divide rice into bowls and top with mango and bean mixture. Sprinkle with scallions and hot sauce, if using.