I served this over greens, topped with slices of my balsamic tofu, but I gave the leftovers to my mom, who ate it plain, right out of the plastic container, and still found it to be fantastic. Other optional additions might be walnuts and blue cheese, if not you’re not vegan.
Balsamic Summer Berry + Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups of your favorite greens optional - baby spinach and arugula are nice here
- 1 lb. batch of balsamic tofu also optional
- Add wheat berries and water to medium saucepan. Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for one hour. Drain excess water and allow to cool.
- Whisk together oil and balsamic vinegar. Add half of this to the wheat berries, along with blueberries, strawberries and basil. Stir up well.
- Divide greens evenly onto plates, and top with wheat berry mixture, then top that with some tofu slices and anything else that suits your fancy. Drizzle with extra oil and vinegar.