This creamy vegan tahini slaw is made from crunchy shredded veggies and apples dressed in a creamy sesame cider dressing with a mild bite from fresh ginger.
This is my last Thanksgiving recipe of the season! Are you finished your holiday planning? I’m sure not. A few years ago, before I started food blogging, I thought all food bloggers would, inherently, have all their event cooking/shopping/planning done weeks in advance. You know, because having a food blog magically puts you in a category with the likes of Martha Stewart. So together.
I’ve actually got a bit of cooking to get done this week. It’s not like I ever host Thanksgiving or anything though (I’ve got a few family members that just wouldn’t be up for dining in a Turkey-free house), so things aren’t looking too bad.
If this is, perhaps, the last dish you have to make for the holiday, well, lucky you. It’s an easy one. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not the most exciting one, but you should make it anyway, for at least a couple of reasons.
(1) Think about what you’re going to be eating on Thanksgiving…potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, bread, pie…more pie. Slaw is like a salad, only it’s acceptable to eat on Thanksgiving. (Side note: I came so close to blogging a Thanksgiving salad.) When you’re wrapping up the dinner festivities, after all that heaviness, don’t you think you’ll be glad you had a little crunchy veggie goodness?
(2) I can’t tell you this one now. I know, so unfair, and kinda ridiculous, but the part of the beauty of having my own food blog is that I can be unfair and ridiculous. Spoiler alert: suffice it to say, if you read in the upcoming week, you’ll be glad to have leftovers of this on hand. Did I just say too much? What have I done? I’m shutting up now.
Boy, this slaw just got exciting!
Apple Cider Tahini Slaw
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. sriracha or to taste
- 1 tbsp. agave
- 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 head white cabbage finely sliced or shredded (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 granny smith apples peeled and shredded
- 2 carrots shredded
- 6 scallions chopped
- Whisk apple cider, tahini, ginger, sriracha, agave, apple cider vinegar and salt together in small bowl.
- Toss cabbage, apples, carrots and scallions together in large bowl. Pour dressing over veggies and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Recipe NotesI recommend making this ahead of time and refrigerating for a day or so. The flavors will mingle as it sits.