This hearty vegan club sandwich is made with slabs of smoky, spicy roasted sweet potatoes, lettuce, tomato and cilantro lime cashew mayo, piled between slices of toasty bread.
For a few nights in a row now I’ve made cold food that I thought was “springy” for dinner, only to end up cranky and not really feeling like eating it because it’s been freeeeeezing. I can’t complain about the residual winter weather (I like it), but consistency would be nice. Its just not that fun dining on cold salads when you’re still trying to cozy up to the fireplace.
There’s cold weather food, hot weather food, and then there’s this sandwich. I did mention that I wasn’t quite ready to give up sweet potatoes for the season just yet, and here’s a prime example of my clinging. In a way though, this sandwich is the perfect cold weather food-hot weather food. On the one hand, it’s got big juicy slabs of sweet potatoes that you can eat while they’re still hot from the oven. Cold weather food. On the other hand, it’s a club sandwich. Take it on a picnic so they cool down when it’s warm out. The sweet potatoes will have cooled by then. Perfect.
I call this a club, and originally I did intend for it to be a bit more clubby, with some type of tempeh or coconut bacon or the like. That turned out to be totally unnecessary. Also, those stacked sandwich halves in the photos toppled over about a half dozen times. Toppling usually means there’s plenty of stuff in your sandwich, as there was here. In the end I decided to combine the fake bacon and the sweet potatoes by adding a bit of liquid smoke, which is totally optional, as is the hot sauce.
On that note, I’ll also so that this is a highly customizable sandwich. I really like the smoky thing with the cilantro lime mayo I’ve got going on, but with a combination as good as roasted sweet potatoes and cashew cream, it’d probably be pretty hard to go wrong. Have fun!
- 2 tbsp. sriracha
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼ to ½ inch thick slabs
- a few dashes of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup. lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (or more if you like), packed
- 2 tbsp. water
- salt to taste
- 8 slices sandwich bread, toasted
- 4-8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil or line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Stir sriracha, maple syrup, lime juice, olive oil and liquid smoke together in small bowl.
- Arrange sweet potato slabs on baking sheet and brush with about ¼ of sriracha mixture. Bake 15 minutes. Flip, brush with another ¼ of sriracha mixture, reserving the remaining half, and bake another 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- While sweet potato slices roast, place all ingredients into food processor bowl and blend until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Slather bread slices with cilantro lime mayo and stuff with sweet potato slabs, lettuce leaves and tomato slices. Drizzle with reserved sriracha mixture.