This smoky, flavorful breakfast tempeh scramble is made with sweet potato chunks, red pepper and avocados. Serve on it’s own, or wrapped in a warm tortilla!
In case I haven’t mentioned it before, I’m terrible when it comes to social media. Like really terrible. I owe what little skill I have to this blog. It was just about a year ago that I finally gave in, sat my boyfriend down in front of the laptop and asked him to show me how to post to Facebook. He, despite having a Facebook account, wasn’t much more skilled than I. Neither of us is a technological wizard. (When we met in 2011, I told my friends that his cell phone was from 2004. They knew right away that we’d be a great match.)
Anyhow, I’m happy to say that I’ve come quite a long way this past year. Just this week I joined Twitter. I have no idea what to do with Twitter yet, but I’ll figure it out. I’ve even got a fancy button over in the sidebar, which I added to my page all by myself, really making me feel like a tech superstar. Click on over if you’d like to connect, and I promise I’ll eventually figure out what to do and share something good.
Okay, so this tempeh scramble has nothing to do with social media. It’s delicious though. I’ve always thought of myself as a sweet breakfast type, but the more savory breakfast recipes I develop, the more my taste buds seems to sway towards that direction. I blame my confusion on eggs. After years of disliking eggs and I suppose as a result thinking savory breakfasts weren’t my thing, I finally realized that when eggs are out of the equation, a hearty breakfast wrap or scramble (or in this case both) is delightful.
I had some version of this particular savory breakfast in mind for quite a while. Originally I thought it would be a tofu scramble though, probably some variation of this recipe, but with sweet potatoes and smoky seasonings. At some point I realized how much I love smoky flavorings along with tempeh, and this recipe resulted. I’m very happy with the resultant combination of flavors and textures.
We ate our tempeh scramble wrapped up in tortillas with avocado and hot sauce. If you do go with the wrap, please do include at least one of these toppings, otherwise I think it would be a bit dry. You could also eat it right out of a bowl.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small or ½ large sweet potato, finely diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. package of tempeh, crumbled
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 tortillas
- hot sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sweet potato and sautee until lightly browned, about five minutes.
- Add onion and continue to sautee until softened, about five minutes. Add garlic and sautee another minute. Add tempeh and sautee until browned, about five minutes. You may need to break up some bits of tempeh with a spatula.
- Add pepper, soy sauce, cumin, paprika, maple and lemon juice. Sautee about two more minutes.
- Serve in tortillas or in bowls.
- Top with avocado, scallions and hot sauce.